Monday, August 29, 2016

Oklahoma, Talimena Scenic Drive

Prairie States Trip -- Day 3

From the Upper Buffalo Wilderness, it's a short 3-hour drive to Oklahoma.  While Oklahoma evokes visions of endless prairie, the eastern end is surprisingly mountainous.  Here, the Ouachita Mountains and Ouachita National Forest poke into Oklahoma.  Tonight my destination is Cedar Lake Recreation Site in the heart of the forest.  A nice campground on the shore of a pretty lake with decent showers and, best of all, the campsites are free.


Cedar Lake Recreation Area, Free camping w/showers
In the morning, I drive to the Talimena Scenic Drive which runs between its namesakes: Mena, AK and Telihina, OK.  The distance from the eastern visitors center to the western visitors center is 60 miles with a 5,000 foot climb and descent.  The well-paved two-lane road climbs and falls with along the spine of the Winding Stair Mountains and has absolutely no shoulder.

Shawnee Outlook
I'm not ready to tackle a mile climb, so I drive up to the first pull out to start my ride, the Shawnee Lookout.  The 180-degree view of the mist-covered hills in the morning sun is absolutely stunning. 
   
Note the climb ahead!
The lack of a shoulder is not an issue as, aside from a forest service truck, no vehicles pass me for first 45 minutes.  Even with the elevation head start, I can't avoid the Talimena's climbs.  Soon I am forced to my lowest gear and a serpentine ascent.  

I'm not the only rider today, two road bikers whiz by downhill as I slowly work up an ascent.  Later when I return to the van, I see one of the riders on his return route looking strong.  A few minutes later, the second biker pulls up to the van as I am loading my bike.  He's not looking strong.

"Hey man, do you have any extra water?" he asks.  It was by now mid-afternoon and pretty hot in the full sun.

"Yea, sure, of course.  I filled up at the campground so it has a bit of an aftertaste,"  I said as offered a spare water bottle.

"Oh, that's OK.  Thanks a lot!" he said as I poured my bottle into his.

This guy still had a couple hours to ride.  Out of water and with no place on the drive to refill, he was lucky to meet me.

"No problem, have a good ride."

Panoramic Vista
When folks ask me about my favorite Frizbo Fifty bike rides, I always include the Talimena.  The physical route itself is epic offering miles of rolling ridge line punctuated by intimidating climbs and exhilarating descents.  Furthermore, the view is spectacular.  But the fact that it's Oklahoma makes it something really noteworthy -- a hidden gem.   If you get anywhere near here -- ride it -- you won't forget it.


Talimena Scenic Drive Route
I drive out of the mountains down to Talihina.  The heat of the Oklahoma plains hits me like a sledge hammer.     

Down in the Oklahoma prairie, the afternoon temperature spikes
Next stop, Iola, Kansas, a 5-hour drive.  As I pass through Eufaula, OK, I see a bank sign announcing a three-digit temperature.  A quick check of Google Maps shows lake-front park.  Still sticky from the long ride, I pull off to see if I can jump in the lake.  A modest beach by the Eufaula Cove Marina provides me a quick swim and respite from the heat.  Late in the evening, I arrive at the America's Best Value Inn in Iola.

(Add story about construction workers grilling on their tailgate.)


State:Oklahoma
Date:2016-08-29
Route:Talimena Scenic Drive (Shawnee Outlook to Panoramic Vista)
Distance:25 miles, 2,850 ft. +/-

No comments:

Post a Comment