Friday, September 25, 2020

Missouri, Berryman/Ozark Trail

New Mexico Tour, Day 1

Earlier in the year, a 60th-birthday trip to Albuquerque, NM with my family was cancelled due to COVID.  With the start of fall, I was desperate for an adventure and New Mexico was still on my mind.  With a 8-day itinerary to New Mexico, I left Mount Prospect at 8:05 am.  

Two bikes and a mini-van!

I arrived in Missouri at 3pm at the Berryman Campground in the Mark Twain National Forest.  The small campground has only 8 sites, vault toilets and no water.  The camp sites are first-come-first-serve and free.  As I arrived early on a Friday, I had my choice of sites.  A few hours later, all the sites were full.  

With only a few hours until sunset, I didn't have time to ride the 27-mile Berryman Loop.  Instead I headed south on the Ozark Trail as an out-and-back to be sure that I'd be back before dark.

Berryman Loop/Ozark Trail

Berryman Loop/Ozark Trail

The Ozark Trail is a 230-mile backpacking trail running through the Missouri's Ozark mountains and most of it is open for mountain biking.

The trail started right from the campground.  I felt a little stiff after the long drive, but it didn't take long to loosen up on this really nice single track.  It also didn't take long to collect more than a few spider webs.  How a spider manages to rig a web across a trail is really a miracle.  Do they swing from branch to branch or wait for a breeze to blow them across the gap?  And they do it quickly too.  On my return leg, I gathered almost as many webs as the outward leg.  I only had time for a taste of this trail.  I'll have to come back and ride the entire Berryman Loop.  

Back at the campsite, I set up camp, collected firewood and cooked dinner.  As the autumn evenings can be long, I brought my guitar to entertain myself (and hopefully not annoy anyone else).  Just as I started to strum, something bumped my foot.  Looking down, I discovered a Copperhead out looking for dinner in the early dusk.  He seemed unbothered by my guitar playing and stopped long enough to pose for some pictures.    

Aww, a Copperhead welcomes me to Missouri

The Copperhead bite is painful but rarely fatal.

I followed the snake around my campsite until he slithered off into the bushes.  I resumed my guitar playing until again I felt something on my boot.  This time it was a walkingstick.  WTF, is it my guitar playing or maybe I should light the fire?


Northern Walkingstick

Once I lit the fire, I didn't have any more visitors in my campsite.  I did hear a fair amount of commotion coming from the picnic area -- loud voices, car engines.  When I left the next morning, I noticed many more folks had set up camp in the picnic area.  Usually camping in a day-use areas is discouraged, but on this morning no one seemed to care.

Ozark Trail route

Next stop, Arkansas!

State: Missouri
Date: 2020-09-25
Route: Berryman Campground to Ozark Trail (south to MM 39)
Distance: 10 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment