Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Ohio, Camp Chase Trail

Potomac and Delaware Rivers Trip -- Day 1

[First Draft]

It's a springtime ritual, waiting for the warmer temperatures and dryer weather so I can hit the trails.  I had hoped to travel to Louisiana, but the Mississippi was in flood, so I looked eastward.  Happily, I scouted a route though Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey with some great biking and optimistic weather forecasts.  I got a green light from Mona, loaded up the van and was on my way.



First pit stop, Indiana

The first day is mostly driving, but I stopped in Ohio to stretch my wheels.  The Great American Rail-Trail is a work-in-progress initiative to develop a coast-to-coast bike trail and I'd thought ride some of the Ohio portion.   

Nice park east of Columbus, OH, just of I-70

Not too far off the interstate is Battelle Darby Creek Metro Park.  I parked near the visitor's center, rode the park's paths and then linked up to the Camp Chase Trail (part of the Ohio to Erie Trail and the Great American Rail-Trail).

Bison pasture, but no bison


Camp Chase Trail

London turn-around
After a fast 30-mile out-and-back, I was back in the truckster and headed east.  The itinerary required a long driving day -- 570 miles.  I was glad when I arrived at the Coopers Rock State Forest campground in West Virginia.


Campsite at Coopers Rock State Forest, WV
Ohio route

State:Ohio
Date:2019-05-15
Route:Battelle Darby Creek Metro Park to London, OH
Distance:30 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment