Friday, May 17, 2019

Washington, DC, Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, Capitol

Potomac and Delaware Rivers Trip -- Day 3

Another nice day, today's destination -- Washington D.C.  As D.C. is notorious for traffic, I parked at the Carderock Recreational Area and headed towards to the capital by bike.


Breakfast!

Another megalith at Antietam Creek!


Pay attention paddlers!
The biking surface here is much nicer than yesterday's ride.  Well-packed limestone the whole way.


Whitewater obstacle course

The old canal enters the city


The national mall is crisscrossed with paths, sidewalks and biking lanes which makes for some fun exploring.  The main obstacles were the other tourists and accidentally violating protocols.  I was informed that bike riding was inappropriate in Arlington National Cemetery and later chased away by armed guards at the rear of the capitol.  I missed my chance to break another protocol when I witnessed the presidential motorcade go by -- at least ten vehicles including an ambulance.  I briefly saw a silhouetted figure waving from inside a limousine.  Damn, I missed my one chance to flip Trump off in person. 


Another megalith!



Photo bombing everyone's pictures by lunching on the Capitol steps!

President Turd's Motorcade
Exiting the mall, every bit of visible roadway was crammed with cars inching along.  How do these people do it?


C&O Canal
On my return, I rode a few extra miles to Olmsted Island.  The island is perched in the middle of the Potomac with a perfect view of the Great Falls. 

How to avoid DC traffic

My feeling of superiority over the DC commuters was short lived as I left Carderock for Susquehanna State Park.  I battled my way out of Washington D.C. and luckily rush hour was over by the time I hit Baltimore.  I arrived at the state park in the dark and wandered around a bit on curving roads until I found the campground and my reserved campsite.  After dinner, I checked out the shower facilities -- clean, not crowded and hot water -- nice.


State:Washington, D.C. (Yea, I know it's not technically a state)
Date:2019-05-17
Route:Carderock Rec. Area to Capitol and Olmsted Island
Distance:39 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment