Monday, May 20, 2019

Pennsylvania, Great Allegheny Passage

Potomac and Delaware Rivers Trip -- Day 6

The previous night, I had hit some strong storms while driving to Ohiopyle State Park, PA.  Fortunately, the storm front had passed by the time I arrived.  In the morning's light the damage was made clear.  Branches big and small littered the campground.  Just down the road I saw a tree leaning on a power line that appeared just about to break. 


Damage from last night's storm

Ohiopyle State Park
On a map, the Ohiopyle State Park campground seems adjacent to the Great Allegheny Passage, but it's actually 3.7 miles and a climb of 760 feet from the bike trail.  I imagine this has come as a unpleasant surprise to many through bikers at the end of a long day.  I drove to the parking lot by the Ohiopyle Falls and rode from there.

The Great Allegheny Passage runs 150 miles from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD where is meets up with the Chesapeake & Ohio Towpath Trail.  So riding the "Passage" was a fitting end to this trip.  


Bridge over the Youghiogheny ("Yok-e-gainy") River

Great Allegheny Passage

Very nice trail


Turnaround






I only had time for a morning ride as I planned to sleep in my own bed tonight. 

Coffee and a creme-filled donut for the road
Great Allegheny Passage

Just eight hours away.

State:Pennsylvania
Date:2019-05-20
Route:Ohiopyle to Confluence, PA
Distance:20 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment