Saturday, May 18, 2019

Delaware, Michael Castle Trail

Potomac and Delaware Rivers Trip -- Day 4

The previous night I drove most of the Susquehanna State Park's roads in the dark looking for the campground, so in the morning I retraced my route to see what I missed.

Flint Furnace on Deer Creek, Susquehanna State Park

Another megalith!
Next up was Delaware, only an hour drive.  Today's route combined the Micheal N. Castle Trail and the Ben Cardin Trail running along the Delaware River between Chesapeake City and Delaware City.  Paved, flat and fast, it was a nice change from the limestone trails.
Chesapeake City


Paved, flat and fast




#bridgie

The canal was a shortcut between Baltimore and Philadelphia


One of those moments where I wished I had a biking buddy to share a cold one with 

Local fishermen on the Delaware River 

Boat parking

The vultures have taken over Fort DuPont



Avoid the state park's entrance fee, park here.


Phew!

My original plan was to take a break from camping to stay in a hotel in trendy New Hope, NJ.  When I checked for a last minute reservation, the rates were over $300.  It was Saturday night so I shouldn't have been surprised, but $300?  I checked around for another hotel and found a motel for $159 but it was out of the way.  Would I rather pay $300 for a nice bed and private shower or sleep in the van again.  Beaver Valley Campground here I come.
Beaver Valley Campground


Route along the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal


State:Delaware
Date:2019-05-18
Route:Chesapeake City to Delaware City and Fort DuPont State Park
Distance:33 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment